Oil keeps your engine running smooth. It is very important to keep up to date with your oil changes. How often your car needs it’s changed depends on a wide variety of factors. If in doubt, look in your car’s owner manual to find the recommended time interval between oil changes. Here is an overview of why you need to change your oil, and the factors that affect how often you should change your vehicle’s oil.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
The easiest way to make sure you’re changing your vehicle’s oil frequently enough is to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. You can find that information in your car’s owner manual. Toyota also offers a comprehensive scheduled maintenance program that will tell you exactly when you need to bring your vehicle in for regular oil changes, depending on the model and year.
Typical Driving Conditions and Habits
The most important factor to consider when trying deciding how often to change your oil is how often you drive your car and in what conditions. Here are some factors that affect how often you need to change your oil:
- The length of your most frequent trips, especially when driving in cold weather.
- Driving in heavy-traffic cities.
- Driving in dusty, dirty conditions, on gravel or bumpy roads.
- Driving at high speeds for long periods of time in hotter weather.
- Using the vehicle frequently for towing trailers.
- If your engine is diesel or turbocharged.
- The quality of engine oil you’re using.
Trust Your Mechanic
Unless you plan on performing your own oil changes on your vehicle, you can usually rely on your mechanic to inform you when your next oil change is due. At Georgetown Toyota, our factory-trained mechanics will be able to tell you exactly when to come in for your next service.
If you think you’re due for an oil change, contact us to schedule your next service appointment, and we’ll keep your car in top performing condition!